Monday, October 22, 2012

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

October 22, 2012

Curried Butternut Squash Soup,  Roasted Cauliflower

So it's a perfect fall day out today.  The leaves are changing colors, the air is crisp, and the scent of fall is in the air so I thought that a soup using wonderful fall root veggies would hit the spot for our meatless Monday tradition.  The kids did not even complain about this one.

I was only able to grab a picture of the soup, because the cauliflower was gone before I had a chance to post (I ate most of it...oops)

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

You can either buy the canned butternut squash 3 (15oz cans), or roast the squash at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.  This is what I do, then puree in a blender.  You may need to add a little extra chicken or veggie stock to make it smooth.

4 TBL Butter (I used Olive Oil instead, or you can mix it)
2 Yellow Onions (chopped)
3 Garlic cloves (minced)
2 tsp. Fresh Ginger minced (this really gives it great flavor)
1 TBL Curry Powder
1/4 tsp. Chili Flakes
Pince of Cayenne Pepper (optional, but I like it)
1-2 Butternut Squash roasted, and pureed (or use the 3-15oz cans)
5 Cup Chicken or Veggie Stock
1/2 Heavy Cream (This is the step that I either omit, or I use Half and Half (they have a fat free version out, but Half and Half is not super high in calories.

Melt the butter or oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.  Add onions, garlic, and ginger and sweat gently making sure not to brown.  Stir in the spices, and roast until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Next:  Add the Pureed Butternut Squash and stir to incorporate.  Add the Chicken Stock and bring to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes until soup is a creamy consistency.  Either use and immersion blender, or work in batches using a standing blender to blend the soup into a silky smooth consistency.  Return to pan, add the cream or half and half if desired.  I prefer to serve this with a dab of goat cheese.  So delicious!

Serve warm with toasted croutons, bread, or grilled cheese.

Roasted Cauliflower

Cooking spray on a pan.  Add Cauliflower.  Roast in over at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes until golden brown.  Salt and pepper.  Delicious!

1 comment:

Veronica said...

Hey!

I'm Veronica, a fellow western Colorado mom. I founded fruitamoms.com earlier this fall and am looking for new bloggers. We are also featured on momseveryday.com - that's how I found you.

Would you be interested?

Please e-mail me at vdaehn1@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Veronica